| The next spurt of growth was a twice-a-week
edition, which Emert started on May 31, 1928 - almost on The Chronicles anniversary
The Chronicle began carrying news of the state, nation and
world from United Press.
Emert produced a progress edition Sept. 18, 1928, that was a
monumental undertaking, covering much of the Okanogan Valley in 42 pages, all with solid
advertising and local news content.
In 1929 The Chronicle was building a new plant. Emert
expanded his staff, hiring Lloyd Whiting as printer-foreman and Charles Parks as reporter.
The two arrived in the summer of 1929 to find Omak booming.
They arrived in time to help move The Chronicle into the new building on Main Street,
across from the Omak Cinema.
Hard times descended shortly after those high days of the
late 1920s. But Emert managed to keep up the twice-weekly schedule until early in 1942.
The Chronicles toughest competition in those years was
O.H. Woodys Okanogan Independent. Wood began twice-weekly publication in 1915 and
Emerts goal had been to meet that schedule and to see The Chronicle become a daily
Whiting, who worked for Emert from 1929 through 1938,
reported for The Chronicles 75th anniversary edition that despite the effects of the
Depression, Emert was not willing to lower the quality of the newspaper or stop
Chronicle file photo
Bruce Wilson checks galleys of type