Pateros woman recuperating from injuries

Patricia Wood suffered burns from house fire

— A local woman is home and on the mend after suffering burns to her face and hands on May 3 when her house burned down.

Patricia Wood, 72, was brought home on May 19 from Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where she was flown after her husband, Jack, rescued her from the blaze.

One of the Woods’ daughters, Tracy Miller of Pateros, was trained by medical staff to care for her mother at Harborview before Patricia Wood was released, Miller said.

“By 6 p.m. we were home with her,” she said. “I am home most of the time – I run to school and check on my students to make sure they are on target to graduate, but someone is here with her at all times.”

Miller, 53, is an AmeriCorps volunteer at the Pateros School District.

The Woods are moving in with Miller and her family until their new house is built, in the same location at 407 Highway 153.

“We are still discussing their future home but they are doing good, just taking one day at a time,” Miller said.

Patricia Wood will go back to Harborview on Thursday for re-evaluation.

Doctors are monitoring her skin to ensure it will heal on its own and she won’t require skin grafts.

She was in the room where the fire ignited at about 4 p.m. that Friday in the back of their house, a doublewide manufactured home on top of a full basement.

Jack Wood, 76, was in the kitchen when he smelled smoke. He was able to help his wife out of the house without suffering any injuries himself.

However, the couple’s dog, Theo, died.

The cause of the fire at last report was still under investigation, according to Douglas Okanogan County Fire District 15 Chief Bill Vallance.

Response came from Okanogan Douglas County Fire District 15 EMS and firefighters from Brewster, Methow and Pateros, as well as Okanogan County Fire District 6 from Twisp.

By the time firefighters arrived on the scene, the fire was about 75 percent engulfed in flames.

“An aggressive interior attack was attempted until the floor collapsed into the basement, forcing crews to back out of structure,” Vallance said. “At that point crews were unable to enter the main floor due to collapse and were unable to enter any part of the daylight basement and attached garage due to the floor/ceiling falling in.”

Firefighters saved the family’s vehicle from damage by pulling it out of the garage before it caved in.

Miller said the family is working with the home’s insurance company on details of the rebuild.

The home was owned by the couple’s son, Terry Wood, who is a doctor in the Bellingham area.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment