0

Fire damages Wauconda home

Blaze began in the chimney and ceiling of house on Tuesday morning

— A local home was damaged Tuesday morning in a chimney fire, according to the Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office.

County emergency management officer Scott Miller said the tenant, Carrie Luther, was able to safely get out of the house at 2586 state Highway 20.

The fire, which burned between the chimney and ceiling, was extinguished with a garden hose, he said.

It was reported at about 6:09 a.m.

No response came from any fire departments, Miller said, because the home is “way outside of any district.”

The sheriff’s office and Tonasket EMS responded, and the American Red Cross is working with Luther to provide shelter and other necessities, Miller said.

“We were toned out but it was too far out of the district, so we did not respond,” Okanogan County Fire District 16 volunteer and treasurer Glenna Jones said, noting that the home is at least two miles past the Wauconda Café and Store, 2360 state Highway 20.

The owners, Daniel and Chloe Israel of Puyallup, were notified of the fire, Miller said. It was unknown if the house is insured.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment