Woman charged in firearm case

Weapon allegedly stolen from an off-duty officer

— A local teenager was arrested Sept. 17 on suspicion of stealing a gun, identification and credit card from an off-duty police officer.

Cheyenne R. Lezard, 18, was charged Sept. 20 in Okanogan County Superior Court with theft of a firearm, second-degree theft-access device and second-degree vehicle prowling. As of Sept. 20, she remained in jail.

Bail was set at $10,000.

Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said Jerod Gavin was mowing his lawn on Maple Street about 9:57 a.m. Tuesday when he saw a man and woman standing beside his personal vehicle.

Gavin is an officer with the Omak Police Department.

“When (the man) noticed (Gavin) looking at him, he took off,” deputy Tait Everett wrote in his report, which was filed with the court as a probable cause statement.

Gavin checked his vehicle and discovered a pistol – not his service weapon – and a credit card were missing, Rogers said.

He got into his vehicle and went to locate the two, and also called the Sheriff’s Office.

Gavin located Jesse B. Garcia, 23, Omak, and stopped him. That’s when sheriff’s deputies arrived.

“While questioning Garcia, he stated he didn’t know anything about the theft, then changed his mind and told deputies it was his girlfriend (who) stole the gun,” Rogers said.

“Garcia said that he could get the gun back for me as long as no one got in trouble,” Everett wrote. “I told him that whoever took the gun was going to get in trouble.”

Everett then contacted Lezard nearby at 437 Queen St. She was read her rights, patted down by a female deputy and placed in Everett’s patrol car.

She later agreed to let officers into the house and showed them where the gun was, the report said.

Some coins also were retrieved.

Gavin later notified the Sheriff’s Office that his credit card and police identification were missing, the report said.

Rogers said he understands the card and ID have not been located.

Garcia was not arrested.

The arrest occurred near Okanogan Middle-High School, which was locked down for about 20 minutes. School officials notified parents later that day by letter.

All students who were outside were brought indoors, and all doors to the building were locked to prevent access from the outside, Middle School Principal Brett Baum said.

“Our staff and students remained calm and carried on their classroom activities,” he said.

As soon as officials were notified of the arrest, the modified lockdown was lifted.

Superintendent Richard Johnson said the district is fortunate it works closely with the Sheriff’s Office, that “good people are in the right places” and that its safety plans worked.

“The entire incident was actually over in several minutes, with both subjects located and the gun recovered,” Rogers said.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment