OKANOGAN The Okanogan School District is looking for a new board member in the wake of Joyce Bruemmer’s resignation.
The board accepted her resignation during its meeting last Wednesday.
She did not give a reason for leaving the position she’s held since 2009.
In other business, the board:
• Learned that Susan Brown is the district’s classified employee of the year and Patrice Caryl is the certified employee of the year. They will be honored at a county-wide excellence banquet in May.
• Approved the 2014-15 school year calendar. School will start Aug. 27, with winter break from Dec. 22 to Jan. 2, a second break March 5-6, spring break April 6-10, graduation June 6 and the last day of school June 9.
The second winter break coincides with the state basketball tournament. This year, with the boys and girls teams both at state, the district had 13 staff members and 150 students absent each of the two days, Superintendent Richard Johnson said. The break days could be used as make-up days in case of weather closures earlier in the year.
• Accepted the resignation of Cole Renfroe as a computer technician.
• Agreed to hire Joy Nickelson and Rebecka Ellis as para-educators, Dani Hansen as school psychologist, Colette Jones and Molly McNeil as assistant high school track coaches, Amanda Stokoe as a food service helper/server and Cody Leatherman as a computer technician.
• Agreed to have Nick Yusi Construction, Okanogan, re-roof the administration/ transportation building for $43,941.60; Mallett Sheet Metal, Omak, re-roof the maintenance building for $8,239.38; and Bozco Construction, Nine Mile Falls, demolish a vacant, district-owned house for $8,500.
• Declared a school bus as surplus property. It will be sold to the Okanogan County Child Development Association.