Jan. 8, 2014- News Briefs

Winthrop deputy marshal resigns

WINTHROP – Less than one month after the town’s marshal resigned to go on a military deployment, one of the deputy marshals has also moved on.

Deputy Seth Carlson, who worked for the town for about seven months, resigned effective immediately Dec. 28, interim marshal Ken Bajema said.

“He had a lot of personal reasons, and I can’t go into those,” Bajema said. “It can be a big change, to go from a big agency to a tiny agency.”

The former marshal, David Dahlstrom, is currently serving in Korea, Bajema said.

The town is hiring for both positions but for now, the Twisp Police Department is filling in where needed.

“It’s kind of good timing because this is our quiet time of year, and because we haven’t had a lot of snow there hasn’t been a lot of tourism either,” he said, noting that the marshal’s office handles about 300 calls a year, mostly in the summer.

Omak woman remains hospitalized

SEATTLE – An Omak woman remained in serious condition Monday at Harborview Medical Center’s intensive care unit after a one-vehicle crash Friday.

Maya M. Best, 31, was southbound on state Highway 155 at 7:15 a.m. Friday when her car hit black ice, went off the road’s right side and hit a boulder about 11 miles west of Omak, the Washington State Patrol said.

The vehicle came to rest blocking the northbound lane.

Best was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center.

The vehicle was destroyed.

No drugs or alcohol were involved, the patrol said. The crash remains under investigation.

Best was wearing a seatbelt.

Rescue crews save vehicle, occupants

CONCONULLY – No one was injured Friday when a vehicle skidded on the slick Conconully Highway and ended up partially hanging over the edge of an embankment.

Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said the vehicle slid to the edge shortly after 1 p.m. “and was hanging partially over, with the driver still in it.”

Fire District No. 9, emergency medical personnel and the Sheriff’s Office responded. The driver, Doug Walla of Conconully, was rescued from the vehicle.

His wife, Shelley Walla, had been riding with him, Rogers said.

Utility district continues trimming trees

OKANOGAN – The Okanogan County Public Utility District plans to continue its tree-trimming project in several communities throughout the year.

Utility crews will work in Riverside, Oroville, the Loomis and Ellisforde areas, Swanson Mill and Mount Hull, Tunk Creek and Keystone, North Pine Creek, state Highway 153 and Methow, and Twisp and Carlton.

Tree branches and shrubs will be trimmed back along rights of way that are interfering with power lines or transformers. Some trees may be removed if they are fast-growing or dangerous, but will qualify for the utility’s tree replacement program.

Voting equipment test set for Friday

OKANOGAN — A logic and accuracy test will be conducted on the Okanogan County disabled access units and vote counting equipment at 9 a.m. Friday at the Okanogan County Auditor’s Office, 149 N. Third Ave. The programming of the disabled access units will be tested.

At that time a test deck of ballots will be run through the vote tabulating equipment.

The test is designed to check the ballot tabulating and precinct programming. It is open to the public.

Oroville passes 2014 city budget

OROVILLE – A city budget of nearly $8.28 million has been adopted for 2014.

The budget calls for $1.6 million in current expense expenditures. Within that fund, expenditures include law enforcement, $585,100; ambulance services, $240,000; general governmental services, finance and administration, $188,750, and planning and community development, $146,000.

The water-sewer fund shows a planned $2.8 million in expenditures, the street fund $814,000 and the park fund $397,000.

Police continue investigation of death

NESPELEM — Colville Tribal Police continue to investigate the October death of a local woman.

The body of Maria Victoria Sanchez, 29, was found about 5 p.m. Halloween day near a bridge on School Loop Road south of town. An autopsy was performed, but results have not been released, police Cmdr. Tom Holsworth said.

“The case is still under investigation but it is expected to be complete very soon,” he said.

— The Chronicle


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment