REPUBLIC Two people filed for the Ferry County sheriff’s position on the first day of election filing Monday.
Raymond Maycumber and Bret A. Roberts, both Republicans from Republic, are seeking the position now held by Pete Warner.
The post garnering the most candidates so far is the U.S. House of Representatives position for District No. 5, which is being vacated by Richard “Doc” Hastings. He is retiring at the end of his term.
Those filing on Monday were Republicans Dan Newhouse, Yakima; Clint Didier, Eltopia; George Cicotte, Grandview, and Kevin Midbust, Richland, and Democrat Estakio Beltran, Richland.
U.S. Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, a Republican from Spokane, so far faces one challenger for her 5th District post. McMorris Rodgers and Dave Wilson, an independent from Spokane, signed up the first day of filing.
Incumbent 7th District Rep. Shelly Short, a Republican from Addy, faces one challenger so far in Tony Booth, a Republican from Colville. Both filed on Monday.
Rep. Brad Hawkins, a Republican from East Wenatchee, filed for re-election to the state House District No. 12 position he’s held two years.
Other local candidates filing on the first day of filing week:
• Commissioner Position No. 3 – Steve Jenkins, Republican, Bridgeport.
• Assessor – Rachel D. Siracuse, Republican, Republic.
• Clerk – Jean Bremner Booher, Democrat, Republic.
• Commissioner No. 2 – Nathan Davis, Republican, Republic.
• Treasurer – Rochelle Rodak, Republican, Republic.
• District Court judge – Tom Brown, Curlew.
• Prosecuting attorney – Emma J. Paulsen, Republican, Republic.
• Public Utility District Commissioner No. 3 – Douglas R. Aubertin, Keller.
• Commissioner position No. 1 – Jim DeTro, Republican, Tonasket.
• Coroner Position No. 1 – Anthony Frey, no party preference, Okanogan; Dave Rodriguez, Republican, Twisp.
• Treasurer – Leah McCormack, Republican, Omak.
• Assessor – Scott D. Furman, Democrat, Okanogan.
• Auditor – Laurie Thomas, Republican, Okanogan.
• Clerk – Charleen Groomes, Republican, Okanogan.
Filing continues until Friday.