Moore gets 25 years for killing father

Man injured as police unit enters home in 2013

— A local man has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for shooting and killing his father more than a year ago.

Ronald Eugene Moore, 32, pleaded guilty Thursday in Okanogan County Superior Court to second-degree murder/intentional murder-domestic violence, theft of a firearm, two counts of second-degree assault and second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm-conviction of non-serious felony offense or domestic violence crime.

He was sentenced to 25 years for the murder of his father, Raymond E. Moore, 62, at their rural Okanogan home on March 21, 2013; two years 10 months for the firearm theft; three years seven months for the two assaults, and one year for the firearms possession charge.

The court dismissed domestic violence allegations for the two assaults and firearms enhancements for the murder and assaults.

Court records show Ronald Moore’s mother, Deborah K. Moore called the Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office at 10:21 p.m. March 21, 2013, to report her intoxicated son had stolen a .22-caliber semi-automatic pistol earlier in the evening.

Deputy Dave Yarnell arrived at the Moore home at 56 E. Dry Coulee Road to find two women — Deborah Moore and her mother, Dalene E. Deline — fleeing.

Deborah Moore said her son was going to kill them and pleaded with Yarnell to get them to safety.

About the same time, Yarnell heard gunfire from the home. He placed the woman in his patrol vehicle, drove them to a safe location on Dry Coulee Road and called for assistance, charging documents against Ronald Moore show.

Deborah Moore told Yarnell her husband had gotten rid of all firearms in the home because of their son’s unstable behavior, but kept the .22-caliber hand gun for personal protection.

Ronald Moore found the gun when he went looking for his Taser, which his parents also had hidden.

When they confronted their son about the gun, the situation worsened and he pointed the gun at them, court records show. That’s when the two women fled and Yarnell arrived.

Additional units, including the Special Response Team, arrived and deputy Josh Brown functioned as a hostage negotiator.

Brown called the home on the phone and talked with Raymond Moore, who sounded injured and barely able to talk, according to court records. Ronald Moore was unwilling to give up and leave the house.

“Based on this information, the SRT team decided to initiate a hostage rescue by entering the residence,” court records show.

Two “flash-bang” devices were deployed as a distraction and the team attempted to enter the kitchen door, but found it heavily fortified from the inside. They tried the front door and found a chair had been placed under the doorknob.

The officers broke a window out of the door and removed the chair.

While gaining entry, the team heard at least three gunshots from inside the home.

“As the team entered the residence and rounded a corner into (the) kitchen/living room area, they were confronted by Ronald Moore, who pointed a handgun at them,” court records said. “One team member fired at Ronald Moore in response to him pointing a weapon at them. Ronald was struck and fell to the floor.”

Raymond Moore was found dead. He was the owner of First Choice Muffler, 2341 Elmway.

Ronald Moore was taken to Mid-Valley Hospital and then transferred to Sacred Heart Medical Center. He was transferred later that spring to the state’s Airway Heights Corrections Center, which has medical facilities, and spent several months there recuperating.

He was booked into the county jail April 7, with bail set at $1 million. His trial date had been delayed several times during the 14 months since the shootings.

Deputy Terry Shrable, who shot Ronald Moore, was placed on administrative leave right after the shooting, but returned to work about three weeks later. The Chelan County Sheriff’s Office investigated the case because of the officer-involved shooting, and determined the shooting was justified.

The sentences for the firearm theft and unlawful possession counts are to be served consecutive to each other but concurrently with the other charges, the court said.

Moore’s criminal history includes a Feb. 21, 2013, conviction for fourth-degree assault-domestic violence for a Dec. 28, 2012, incident.

Under state law, based on his prior criminal activity, his sentencing range for the murder conviction was 216-316 months, with a maximum term of life possible.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment