OSOYOOS, B.C. Ernie Bartelson of Oroville laid claim to the fastest car in the Super Pro division title during eighth-mile drag races Sunday at Richter Pass Motorplex.
Bartelson drove his 1951 Chevrolet “Glory Daze” to first, defeating Don Cachola of Oliver, B.C., in a 1978 Monte Carlo in the finals at the first races of the spring.
The races drew 67 cars, which is about double the normal field, spokeswoman Shana Cachola said.
Tim Hiebert of Osoyoos, B.C., took home the best reaction time trophy after cutting a perfect .500 with his Ford Mustang.
The next Wine Country Racing Association spring races are June 8 and June 22, with gates opening each day at 9 a.m., Shana Cachola said. There were 274 side-by-side drag races.
- Sportsman bracket - Tim Hiebert of Osoyoos, B.C. (Black 1990 Ford Mustang) def. Blair Ogilvy of Osoyoos, B.C. (White 1981 Chevrolet Pick-up).
- Warrior Heads up Racing - Tanner Ericson of Osoyoos, B.C. (Silver 2004 Nissan) def. Steve Carrier of Kelowna, B.C. (Orange 1990 Nissan).
- Pro Bracket - Dean Book of Penticton, B.C. (Blue 1986 Ford Pick-up) def. Mark Horvath of Kelowna, B.C. (Blue 1991 Ford Mustang).
- Super Pro - Ernie Bartelson of Oroville, WA (Black 1951 Chevrolet) def. Don Cachola of Oliver, B.C. (1978 Monte Carlo).
- Bike/Sled - Warren Brown of Oliver, B.C. (Green 2002 Kawasaki motorcycle) def. Steve Macor of Osoyoos, B.C. (Purple 02 Kawasaki motorcycle).
- Ashley Clark (the next Force) 10 Years old from Sicamous, B.C. Junior Dragster
- Brad Heppner of Sicamous, B.C. driving his 1989 Ed Quay Dragster
- Chris Bilodeau of Abbotsford, B.C. in his turbo powered Blue 92 Mustang