As of Saturday, August 15, 2015
TWISP At least 11 fires are burning this afternoon in the Methow Valley.
According to Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Methow Valley District Ranger Mike Liu, additional support has been requested to help in the firefights taking place in Black Canyon, the Gold Creek drainage and other areas.
"Firefighters had to pull back from fires in the Black Canyon area due to extreme fire behavior," Liu said.
In a 1 p.m. update, Liu released the following fire information:
- Black Canyon Fire is more than 2,700 acres about 6 miles southwest of Methow. A crew from Indiana and a local engine are currently working to protect homes and property. Management for the fire has been delegated to a Type 1 team. Black Canyon Road is closed at the forest boundary.
- South Fork Fire in the Gold Creek drainage 7 miles south of Carlton is being mopped up. South Fork Gold Creek Road is closed at the Forest Boundary.
- Bear Mountain Fire has grown to 30 acres 12 miles northeast of Twisp. A Cle Elum Ranger Distrct crew is working the fire.
- The Tonasket Ranger District is managing fires on Starvation Ridge and at Beaver Lake, both are about 15 miles northeast of Twisp, buring in steep terrain and timber. The fires are believed to be several hundred acres each. Further information is not available.
- Tatie Peak Fire is burning 20 miles northwest of Mazama and holding at 140 acres. Smokejumpers have been assigned.
- The Cutthroat blaze and a small spot fire 9 miles west of Mazama have been contained.
- A local hand crews has been assigned to Squaw Creek Fire, burning 20 miles south of Twisp.
- Wenatchee-based rappellers and a helicopter have held the Eagle Creek Fire to less than an acre 13 miles west of Twisp.
- The Eightmile drainage fire is burning about 11 miles north of Winthrop. Four smokejumpers have been assigned; further information is not available.
- Okanogan County Fire District No. 6 has been assigned to the Lower Beaver Fire just outside Twisp. Further information is not available.
Forest officials have also announced the following closures:
- Harts Pass Road
- Pacific Crest Trail, between Glacier and Holman passes
- Beaver Lake Trail, 15 mile east of Winthrop
- Squaw Creek Road at the national forest boundary.
- McFarland Creek Road at the forest boundary.
- Cooper Mountain Road is closed between Antoine Creek and the bottom of S. Fork Gold Creek.