Judy Lynn (Rhoads) Prince

Judy Lynn (Rhoads) Prince

October 15, 1957 - March 16, 2014

Judy Lynn (Rhoads) Prince, 56, died from breast cancer, March 16, 2014.
Judy was born to Virginia “Ginnie” Rhoads and the late Dale Rhoads, Oct. 15, 1957 in Wenatchee, Wash.
Her family moved to Tonasket in January 1960 to operate Dale’s family apple orchard. Judy attended Tonasket School, and after graduating high school, she attended and graduated from Pell’s Barber Collage in Spokane. Judy gave the best haircuts in the world. She furthered her education by taking classes from famous hair stylists. She worked in Seattle, Spokane and Wenatchee.
On Nov. 1, 1979, Judy and two fellow stylists (Randy and Greg) founded and opened New Dimensions in Wenatchee, where the shop still exists today. Judy left that business and came back to Tonasket, where she opened Judy’s Styling in the back of Cal’s Barber Shop. She was the first female barber in Okanogan County and she did the latest hairstyles for men, women and children. People still talk about Judy’s haircuts and wish she was still cutting hair.
After Cal retired, Judy moved to Fred’s Barber Shop. She got restless and wanted to do something different with her life. Fred saw an advertisement in the newspaper that Trans World Airlines wanted to train new flight attendants as the airlines were going on strike. So she went to Post Falls, Idaho, to attend a seminar. Of 300 that showed up for an interview, Judy and two other girls were hired. After she graduated from flight attendant school, she was stationed at J.F.K. Airport in New York. Since there was a strike, she was sent directly overseas. She flew to London, Paris, Spain and short trips all over the U.S.
After a while of being a “glorified waitress,” as Judy called it, she came home to Tonasket. She and sister-in-law Lois Rhoads got their flagging cards and went to work for her brother, Jeff Rhoads, the foreman for Cascade Cable Contractors. It was on that brief job that she met her husband, Jim Prince. They married and their daughter Ashley Dawn was born. They later divorced when Ashley was2 years old.
After her folks left the orchard and moved into town, Judy and Ashley moved with them. About a year later, Dale was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died. Judy and Ashley continued to live with her mother, Ginnie.
A few years later, Judy had another daughter, Lindsey Dale Prince Larson, who completed her life. After Lindsey was born, Judy had many health issues.
Judy’s girls were the light of her life. She devoted her life to them and her two precious granddaughters, Ginnie and Keltie Lariza.
Last year, Judy completed a certified nursing assistant class and started working at North Valley Assisted Living. She soon found out her cancer had come back with a vengeance and had to quit her job to seek treatment. She fought her cancer for about five years and she suffered through many kinds of treatment.
Judy is survived by her mother, Ginnie Rhoads; two daughters, Ashley (Josh) Lariza and their children Ginnie, Keltie, and one on the way, and Lindsey (Donny) Carollo and their unborn child; brothers, Blaine (Beth Anne) Rhoads and their children, Dustin and Sarah Beth Rhoads of Tonasket, and Jeffery (Lois) Rhoads and their children Josh (Wylie) Rhoads of Cheney, Chelsea (Hans) Schnabel and Jessica Rhoads of Tonasket; special uncles Paul (Royce) Sears of Selah, Wash., and Dean (Sharon) Rhoads of Nevada; aunts, Gail Baird of Tonasket and Sharon Hart of Wenatchee; cousins, Shammy and Chandra, Pat (Don) Atchison, Ron (Susan) Tim and Mandy, and many more cousins.
Judy was preceded in death by her father, Dale Rhoads; grandparents, Glen and Lauretta Sears of Wenatchee and Clyde and Mamie Rhoads of Tonasket; uncles, Glen, Bruce and Jack Sears, and Rex Rhoads; aunt, Donna (Rhoads) Herod; and cousins Joy and Mark Sears.
Thank you Blaine and Beth Anne for all the love and help you gave Judy through her treatments. A special thank you to Dr. Mitch Garrison, Katie Kemble and Judy’s oncology team at Omak Clinic. Hospice, what a relief you provided us in the brief time you were here, thank you. Also to Dinesh at Omak Pharmacy for always having what was needed for Judy’s care.
For Judy’s last act of generosity and kindness, she donated her whole body to research through Medcure. If she could help one person through research, that’s what she wanted.
At Judy’s request, there will be no funeral. She wanted everyone to remember her love, kindness, beautiful smile and friendship. She was a fifth generation Tonasket girl through and through.


Use the form below to express your condolences.

Sign in to comment