Photo detail

Stories this photo appears in:

CENTER STAGE: Locals appear on small screen

Last week’s snow storm was sure nice. Aside from the constant shoveling, slower traffic and increased burden, when the day’s work is done, it is nice to sit down with a hot cup of tea and watch the snowflakes fall.

January 16, 2018 11:34 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Remembering those lost in 2017

Here’s to 2017. In a matter of hours fireworks will burst, confetti will fly, and glasses of champagne will chime. But among the libations and celebration cheer, for some the New Year will bring a different feeling.

December 30, 2017 midnight read more..

CENTER STAGE: Hard to find holiday spirit with no snow

It seems there are two types of people you will encounter around Christmas time: Those who begin shopping throughout the year for Christmas gifts, and those who scramble to buy gifts to put under the tree a week or so before the big day.

December 20, 2017 8:57 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: OVOC brings great performance

Saturday brought a stellar show to the Omak Performing Arts Center as the Okanogan Valley Orchestra and Chorus hosted its annual holiday concert. Never before have I been more impressed with this fine group of musicians as I was with their latest performance.

December 12, 2017 8:44 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Holiday events on tap Saturday

Christmas is right around the corner. Earlier this week, while driving to the office, I noticed only a few houses along my way with beautiful colored lights on them. Which begs the question, why are so few people decorating this year?

December 5, 2017 11:21 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Streaming music can be really convenient

I love listening to music, be it one of today’s “hot new” songs, or a classic from yesteryear. While I’ll admit the bulk of my music collection (both physical and digital) is country, bluegrass and classic rock, I’ve got nothing against classical, folk, blues, and even the occasional pop song. Last week my brother purchased a subscription for me to the popular streaming music service Spotify.

November 15, 2017 9:04 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Thank you, Elizabeth Widel

Every so often you will come across a special person in life. Someone that motivates you by his or her ethics or who leads by example. Elizabeth Widel was one of those people to me, and many others.

October 30, 2017 5:35 p.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Holiday season is just around the corner

I can’t believe were only 43 days away from Thanksgiving. Where has this year gone? On the topic of Thanksgiving, it was announced last week that the first Black Friday advertisement was released by Harbor Freight, a tool and equipment retailer.

October 9, 2017 6:22 p.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Fall brings great music to region

Each morning I have a routine. I get up, let Gypsy (my 70-pound German Shepherd) outside, get a cup of coffee and sit down at my computer to read the daily headlines. It was sure a surprise to see an email from Garth Brooks’ promoter with information about his upcoming show Nov. 11 at the Spokane Arena.

October 3, 2017 9:14 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Area brims with entertaining events

As the mornings are getting colder and area youngsters are heading back to school, I hate to say it but summer must be coming to an end. Around the house, the lawn is needing less watering and mowing, and our garden is nearing the end of its season.

August 31, 2017 9:01 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Vincent talks about success of new album

Saturday I traveled to the 41st annual Darrington Bluegrass Festival in Snohomish County. Even though it’s a two-hour drive west of Winthrop, it was well worth the travel. Being a musician and supporter of the arts, I figured it was finally time to see the “Bluegrass Capital of the Northwest.”

July 25, 2017 9:05 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Famous musicians come to region

Not very often will you find a “big-named” act coming to the region. And it’s especially not that often that you will have an opportunity to see a celebrity literally up-close and personal.

July 18, 2017 10:39 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Wauconda Hall plans celebration

Long before the Internet and modern technology ruled our daily lives, gathering with friends and neighbors was the thing to do for weekend entertainment. A small taste of the way it was is planned this weekend in Wauconda.

July 11, 2017 12:02 p.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Summer brings work, fun

Last week I came to the realization that I truly love summertime. Aside from the sometimes-scorching temperatures, the lawn constantly needing to be mowed and an abundance in what seems to be never ending yard work, there’s just something special about the season.

July 5, 2017 10:52 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Time to dust off the vinyl

Every now and then I enjoy going on an online shopping spree. I usually am looking for one specific item, and before you know it, I’ve wasted several hours and filling my shopping cart with all kinds of things I don’t really need.

June 13, 2017 11:15 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Nashville Stars deserve support

I know some of you may be tired of me writing about the 13th annual Nashville Country Star competition, but I feel the event, as large as it is — a statewide – high school competition in our back yard deserves recognition.

March 28, 2017 10:09 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Week brings time for holiday music

What do you think of all this white stuff outside? It looks like we may have a white Christmas after all. Since I began working for the newspaper almost two years ago, it seems as though my free time has become nearly obsolete.

December 23, 2015 11:20 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Musical history remembered

Can you believe Tuesday marked the 35th anniversary of the death of John Lennon? For those not familiar with Lennon, he was most notably known for being the co-founder of the popular ’60s rock band, The Beatles.

December 13, 2015 11:19 a.m. read more..

CENTER STAGE: Wildfires provide musical inspiration

Wasn’t the rain last week much appreciated? As I stood at my kitchen window Thursday morning, sipping on a cup of coffee, I watched the rain fall over the McLaughlin Canyon area and thought to myself things should green up just before the snow falls.

November 2, 2015 11:07 a.m. read more..

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.