REPUBLIC — Ferry County's current chief criminal deputy appears to be headed for a promotion.

Raymond Maycumber, R-Republic, leads in the Ferry County Sheriff race with 71.97 percent of the ballots counted this evening. The other candidate, Thomas Williams, has 28.03 percent.

“I’m humbled and feel really blessed that people in the county have so much faith in me,” Maycumber said.

Williams could not be reached for comment.

Maycumber, 40, is the current chief criminal deputy and Emergency 911 coordinator for the Ferry County Sheriff’s Office.

In the initial tally, Maycumber received 1,849 votes and Williams received 720 votes. Officials said 2,569 ballots had been counted as of press time.

Elections officials in the Ferry County Auditor’s Office said there are an estimated 24 ballots left to be counted, with more expected to arrive in the mail in the coming days.

The next ballot count will be at 1 p.m. Friday.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.