fire

A firefighter (right) connects a hose to the fire hydrant across from the former Omak Market building as others (not pictured) don gear to head inside the building Monday morning.

OMAK – Two people were treated for smoke inhalation at Mid-Valley Hospital on Monday morning, Sept. 27, after a fire damaged their apartment on Jackson Street.

The man and woman, whose names were not released, were taken to the hospital by LifeLine Ambulance.

Firefighters from Omak were called at 7:23 a.m. to the fire in the former Omak Market building, 602 Jackson St. Okanogan Fire Department was called to assist; LifeLine, Okanogan County Public Utility District, Omak Police Department and the Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office also responded.

Omak Fire Chief Kevin Bowling said flames were confined to a patio/deck on the back of the building’s second floor. An electrical malfunction is the suspected cause.

In addition to the man and woman, three dogs apparently were in the building. They appeared to be OK, Bowling said.

He estimated damage to the structure and wiring at around $5,000. Repairs will need to be made before anyone can move back into the apartment.

Bowling said the building is owned by Brian Power, Fircrest.

Okanogan County Assessor’s Office records show the lot and improvements are assessed at $105,100. The building was constructed in 1930.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.